Trail of Shadows #4 by Daniel José Older (5/5)

Lesbian Chadra-Fan, check.

Emerick and Sian lounging in her home while she plays music in her jammies for him, check.

More Cuetoo, check.

Sian in a sexy flight suit while she holds Emerick’s lightsaber, check.

What more could a fan of The High Republic want from Trail of Shadows, issue 4 by Daniel José Older delivers all of this, and more, in the stunning penultimate issue of the miniseries. All I ask for from Trail of Shadows is that I see Emerick and Sian being awesome, and DJO always takes that and delivers extra. Like the other issues thus far, issue four was a solid five stars for me because how could it not be. I’m constantly saying, every time someone brings up this miniseries, “Trail of Shadows, my beloved”.  How much money have I spent getting all of the variant covers and then pre-ordering the Trade paperback? I’m pleading the fifth, and I’m not even an American.

After having left Sian and Emerick on Starlight, hugging each other, it was really nice to see that their relationship has evolved further to the point where he’s now lounging in her home while she’s dressed in a rather cozy outfit. That’s amazing to say the least. Just wow. How does DJO make me care so much about a straight duo? Goodness, The High Republic has me in a chokehold. And Cuetoo has clearly established a relationship with Sian as well, which I adore. Cuetoo is, without a doubt, right up there on my favourite droids list, and I’m very picky about which droids get to be on that list. Not even R2-D2 and C-3PO are on my top three list (the other two are BD-1 and BB-8).

Dave Wachter’s art, once again, delivers so hard. I would like to personally thank him for the moment where Sian is standing there in her flight suit holding Emerick’s lightsaber. If I have nothing else in my life, at least I have that, right? It has been seared into my brain and it gets me through difficult days, so I am very grateful for it and Wachter’s service. *chefs kiss*

If we don’t get more Sian and Emerick in phase three of The High Republic, I will be inconsolable because my love for the two of them is just too much. Let them solve all the mysteries together, please.

Emerick coming face to face with the Leveler was physically painful for me, and I was instantly worried about him. I was not okay with the potential of him being hurt, possibly dying. No one hurts Emerick. But he’s going to be okay, he has Sian and Cuetoo there for him.

The writing combined with the art in this miniseries is unlike anything I have ever seen. I know that I’m still fairly new to comic books (I’ve been a reader for just under a year), and I haven’t yet connected with a comic series quite as much as I have with Trail of Shadows, and that is completely owed to the combined genius of Daniel José Older and Dave Wachter.  I honestly have zero complaints about this story except that there is only five issues. I would read anything that had Emerick and Sian in it, taking names and kicking ass… and then the hugging too. That cured my soul.

If you, or someone you love, has not yet read Trail of Shadows, you aren’t entitled to compensation, but I will recommend that you read it. Immediately. It’s a five-star miniseries written by a five-star writer, and there is very little more I could ask for. Maybe a little Emeran kiss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Path of Vengeance by Cavan Scott (5/5) [CONTAINS SPOILERS]

The Odyssey of Star Wars by Jack Mitchell (5/5)

Introduction