The High Republic Adventures, Issue #11 by Daniel Jose Older (5/5)

On your Marc(hion)… get set… RO! The Great Jedi Rumble Race was the event of the day in The High Republic Adventures, Issue #11. After all of the traumatic events that have occurred, and knowing that more are abound in Wave 3 of Phase 1 that is incoming January 2022, it was nice to have a more relaxing and fun story set in the era with some of our favourite Jedi (and non-Jedi) just having a grand old time on Starlight Beacon, racing around.

Of course, I was very pleasantly surprised to see Stellan Gios, and Trail of Shadows stars, Emerick Caphtor and Sian Holt, on the Beacon. A little hint of where our favourite High Republic investigators will be in Trail of Shadows, Issue #3? Who can say? All I know is that I’m always hyped for more High Republic content.

I want to just talk about Farzala, Lula, Zeen, and Qort… deciding to stick together and win the race, coming only second to Buckets of Blood, because who else would be the winner of the Great Jedi Rumble Race? The High Republic Adventures has done an incredible job building the relationship between these three Padawans and their friend (Zeen deserves to be a Padawan, but I’m excited to see her journey and how it continues to play out), and it really does show how attachments, when handled in a healthy way, can make a Jedi, and by extension, the Order, stronger. I genuinely have so much love for these characters, and I have enjoyed following their journey to this point. The chemistry, especially between Lula and Zeen, is so well portrayed and I would like to see more of it. Even outside of the Padawans and Zeen, the chemistry between Kantam Sy and Buckets of Blood is amazing, and I would love to see more of that relationship as well.

While I am looking forward to the next issue, the Bake-off, I am sort of nervous about what is going on with the Nihil right now. That’s not surprising, one could ask when I’m not nervous about what’s going on with the Nihil, that’s how prevalent the fear is. Even though I don’t like him much, I am sort of concerned about what is going to happen to Krix. Even though Marchion likes him, the rest of the Nihil that he’s around don’t seem to share that sentiment, and for good reason. If they’re plotting on causing harm to Krix during an issue with something as pure as the Great Jedi Rumble Race, what are they going to do while the bake-off is happening? How do we get to the tragedy of what is going to happen in The Fallen Star? I want to focus on the fun, but the fear is alive and well.

One off my favourite things that they have included in The High Republic Adventures is the data files, and this issue had one that was a diagram of Starlight Beacon, with key areas of note including the Jedi Quarters, Republic and Delegation Quarters, and the Jedi Council Chamber. I used to think that it was fun, but as with all things in The High Republic, the closer and closer we get to The Fallen Star, the more I am concerned that these data files have a more sinister purpose. This diagram, and the key locations that were marked seem like information that the Nihil would need in order to effectively destroy Starlight and my life at the same time.

The High Republic Adventures Annual is the next work coming out, set for release on 15 December, and Issue #12 is currently set for release on 12 January 2022. Now is the time to start training for the next Great Jedi Rumble Race… just remember the one and only rule, that there are no rules.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

The Odyssey of Star Wars by Jack Mitchell (5/5)

Morgan Is My Name by Sophie Keetch (4/5)