Tempest Runner by Cavan Scott (5/5)

 The audio drama Tempest Runner by Cavan Scott is, in a word, fantastic. Set in the High Republic era of the Star Wars universe, it focuses on Tempest Runner Lourna Dee, one of the leaders of the Nihil. Set after the disastrous events of The Rising Storm and the Republic Fair, we get a glimpse into the backstory, the ‘fall’ and subsequent rise (possibly higher than ever) of the feared Twi’lek woman.

Prior to listening to the audio drama, I was curious about Dee’s character, but I wasn’t sure about her all that much. After listening, however, I was in awe of her backstory and what will happen next with her character! More Lourna Dee content can’t come fast enough. Now, thankfully I don’t tend to care what people think about me, which really helped as I listened to the majority of this audiobook when I was in public. My facial expressions, gasps, and other auditory expulsions must have been something to behold, I must say. I was simply so entranced that I couldn’t stop myself from having genuine reactions to what was happening.

Tempest Runner answered so many questions for me about the Nihil, Dee’s character, backstory, and it made me ask new questions as well, primarily: where do we go from here? I couldn’t be more excited to see what happens next. It felt like this audio drama happened so quickly and I actually found myself cursing my airpods when they decided to die and needed a charge while I was listening to it.

Cavan Scott simply writes like no one else I’ve read the works of. There’s something about his comic book writing, his prose, and his audio dramas that I cannot get enough of. I should have known that I would be this obsessed with his work after reading Dooku: Jedi Lost, but I didn’t even consider that he might become one of my favourite authors ever? Star Wars, when written by Cavan Scott, is something that is so unique and fits perfectly within the world that has been created and continues to expand. I could not be happier that he is one of the writers of The High Republic, because we get amazing gems like Tempest Runner.

There is just so much that I love about Tempest Runner that it’s hard to pin down even a couple of specific moments, but I am going to say that the ending has been playing in my head over and over because of how incredible it was. I won’t go into too much detail for those that have not had a chance to listen yet, but I will say that it’s less than 7 hours long, and if you are able to listen to Tempest Runner, please do so. It’s an incredible story that is so well written and acted in such a way that I would listen to it weekly if it wouldn’t ultimately break me.

Ride the Storm, Tempest Runner, and make sure to pick up a copy of the script book when it comes out in March 2022. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

The Odyssey of Star Wars by Jack Mitchell (5/5)