Eye of the Storm by Charles Soule (4.5/5)

 Issue #1 of Charles Soule’s Eye of the Storm comic duology follows the Eye of the Nihil, Marchion Ro himself, information about his father and grandmother, and the relationship that he has with Mari San Tekka, a crucial part of phase one of The High Republic. Even though I’m not the biggest Marchion Ro fan out there, I really enjoyed this story more than I thought I would, so much so that I give it 4.5/5 stars. I don’t have too much to say, because I specifically don’t want to speculate too far on this duology because of my level of fear. Yes, Marchion, I am scared of you. Are you happy?

The worldbuilding surrounding the Evereni is natural storytelling and simply wonderful. I don’t think I had heard of the Evereni until I read Eye of the Storm, and now I have the basic ideas of who they are as a people. It’s quite clear from the beginning how Everon is described as a stormy place, a tempest place, and how that imagery and language has bled into the structuring of the Nihil. We even see that Ro’s great-grandmother created the Nihil, and how the role of Eye has passed through the lineage down to Marchion himself.

I think it’s always eerie to see the villains in our stories as children, especially if they are still terrifying in some way as children. Marchion Ro fits that bill. This first issue actually made me kind of scared of him in a way I hadn’t been before. This guy was scary as a kid, and now that he’s an adult, he’s legitimately terrifying.

The final pages… I have to say that while they are beautiful, I do not like seeing Chancellor Soh potentially dead in the corner there. Matari and Voru wouldn’t let that happen, right? Right?

In short, I really enjoyed this issue, and I am eagerly awaiting the second half of the story. I’m also horribly terrified for the next issue to come out because I’m scared for my favourites, okay? Eye of the Storm #2 is due out on 2 March.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

The Odyssey of Star Wars by Jack Mitchell (5/5)

Morgan Is My Name by Sophie Keetch (4/5)